Minnesota finally has a bit of snow cover, and it’s cold. It’s almost like winter around here, just in time for some great fatbike events. I’m aware of at least three fatbike / winter bike races this weekend. In the event you can’t make it to all three, you should try to check out at least one. They include:
- Penn Cycle’s Get Fat with Pat event – Penn Cycle in Eagan, MN; Saturday January 28th; 12pm start; details here
- Freewheel Frozen Frolic at Murphy Hanrehan January 29th – Three-race series + Lake Minnetonka Ice Race, hosted by Freewheel Bike (another great local shop, with a strong fatbike selection and knowledge). The Murphy races will be mass start events that will include the normal Murphy loop plus a half mile roll out for the start. Studded tires are allowed and encouraged when frequent freeze-thaw temps proceed race day. Men’s / Women’s open class race. Registration opens at 10am; Race starts at 11am. Info here.
- Carver Lake Cold Catfish Cup in Woodbury – This should be a terrific race, put together by the fine folks at Angry Catfish (which is an awesome local bike shop) and the City of Woodbury. Reed Smidt is the organizer, and information can be found at their facebook page, here. Here are some details:
- Location = Carver Lake Park (3175 Century Ave. S., Woodbury, MN 55125); Course = mix of single track and frozen lake (multiple lap options depending on class); Dates = January 29, February 5, and February 19, Classes include men & women, advanced & recreational; Awards for 1st – 3rd place & series champ
- Online Registration:
Day-of registration will also be available.
- Please direct all questions to Reed Smidt @ 651-714-3588 or email@example.com